Motorcycle Prep for Riding in Winter
If you’re willing to brave the freeze, riding a motorcycle in winter can be surprisingly enjoyable — and snowy landscapes make for some of the best roadside scenery for your rides. And, learning how to winterize a motorcycle can make the experience quite a bit more comfortable. Here are our best tips for prepping your bike and protecting yourself from the chill:
- Motorcycle winter tires – Change out your regular tires for specialized winter tires with plenty of treads.
- Windscreen – Purchase a large windscreen for extra protection from cold wind.
- Wind guards – Wind guards can shield your legs from the wind.
- Heated grips – Install heated handlebar grips to warm your hands, especially on longer rides.
- Replace antifreeze – If you ride a water-cooled bike, get new antifreeze before winter.
- Inspect hoses and radiator – To avoid getting stranded with radiator trouble, check for splits and leaks in the hoses and connectors.
Above all, safely riding a motorcycle in winter requires paying greater attention to the road surface. Be sure to keep an eye out for black ice, road salt, and new cracks or potholes in the pavement. We also recommended increasing your normal following distance, and not riding at all while snow is falling.
How to Store a Motorcycle for Winter
If winter riding isn’t for you, you’re not alone: the majority of Albany riders choose to store their bikes during the winter months. See our tips for how to store a motorcycle for winter the right way:
- Thoroughly wash and wax your bike prior to placing it in storage.
- Store your bike in a climate-controlled garage. If you don’t have access to this kind of space, insulate your bike with a heavy-duty cover.
- Add lubrication to moving parts like the cables, chain, and controls.
- Fill the fuel tank to about 90%.
- Change the oil and oil filter.
- Replace the antifreeze.
- Flush out and replace other fluids.
- Check that the battery is in good condition.
- If your bike has a carburetor, drain the float bowls.
Get More DIY Motorcycle Care Tips from Timber Town Harley-Davidson
Our team has the expert advice you need to keep riding year-round in Salem! We invite you to follow up with any further questions about how to winterize a motorcycle — whether you’re choosing motorcycle winter tires, riding in the rain, or wondering how to change your oil at home in Lebanon. Be sure to check out our current service specials for great deals before scheduling your next service appointment!